Library above Adams Store


Founded in 1915, the Bedford Hills Free Library is an association library accredited by the New York State Education Department and is a member of the Westchester Library System (WLS). The Library is dedicated to providing information services to the Town of Bedford and surrounding towns, particularly those in the hamlet of Bedford Hills.

Mrs. Eliza Gourlie first opened the Library above Adam’s Department Store and next to the Metro North train station. Located in a former private house built in 1860, our current Library building was acquired in 1952. The Library was renovated in 1960 and an extension for a Children’s Room was built in 1974.

Known for its warm, personal service and children’s programs, since 2014, the Library has updated its facilities, services, and operations. In 2017 programs were expanded to include an early literacy initiative, new programs for adults, and creative community partnerships.


Today, the Bedford Hills Free Library has a collection of library materials for adults, young adults, and children and now provides an array of digital events as well as download and streaming services for education and entertainment.

Open to the public six days a week, we serve approximately 2,000 Bedford Hills Free Library patrons, as well as thousands of visitors to our library, including those attending programs and events at the Library and at off-site venues.